Saturday, January 19, 2013

I'd Marry Him Again (25th Anniversary Vow Renewal)

On December 30, 1987 Terry and I stood in a little church before a man of God, our friends and families and vowed to love and cherish each other no matter what circumstances arose, forsaking all others, till death do us part.

If you've been following my blog for any length of time, you already know that we broke a few of those vows along the way.

This past December, we celebrated our 25th anniversary. On January 5, 2013, Our ten children preceded us down the aisle where we stood in a church before another man of God, our friends, and family, and renewed the same vows we made to one another all those years ago.

Our precious family.
It was a beautiful service!

With our Pastor, Michael Johnson; the same man who counseled us and led us to the Lord in 1997.
I take thee...again!

Our daughters sang the same song that was played at our wedding 25 years ago: My Only Love

After the vows, Pastor asked the children to gather with us for a family prayer. It was beautiful!
 I managed to make it through the entire ceremony without shedding a single tear, but the moment the doors were opened for us to enter the reception room, I fell apart. Just look what our children had done!

The room was beautifully lit with white lights and candles floating in blue water.
 As I stood there in awe, I asked, "How?!" and Amanda stretched out her arms in grand flair and squealed, "Pinterest!" She and Emily had been planning the decorations for months and even had a "secret" room on Pinterest to keep me from knowing their plans.

The gift table. Notes we will cherish for years to come were written by guests and hung on the tree. 
 Stephanie had taken care of the invitations and correspondence as well as driving the girls wherever they needed to go to purchase food and supplies. (Side note here: she and Haley were in a Car Wreck just TWO DAYS before the party!)

Celebrating with family and friends.
Haley was in charge of the food. The menu included a delicious salad with dried cranberries, green onions and a sweet dressing; delectable "Hobo" soup (vegetables and polish sausage); and homemade garlic and herb bread, provided by our dear friend Dee.

Our children, accompanied by their nephew and niece, singing a song I wrote: "An Eternal Difference".
 Entertainment was provided by the classical music group, The 5th Degree (which is comprised of our three older girls and their friends Elizabeth and Hannah), as well as songs sung by our children. Stephanie shared our family story before the children sang An Eternal Difference.


The day of our vow renewal and party was also a day for celebrating another major event: Destiny's 8th birthday! She didn't mind sharing her special day and was thrilled to have so many people sing to her! As a side note, the cake was gluten-free for those who couldn't eat gluten.


Our gorgeous cake was made by our dear friend Elizabeth. Is this girl talented or what?!


Here is the video I made to commemorate the event (it was shown after the children sang). The "telephone call" is actually the voice of my friend who made the call in January 1997. I think it made the video!



Photobucket

 E-Mail Updates - Pinterest

This post is linked with:

Better Mom Mondays
A Mama's Story
Modest Mom Mondays
Raising Homemakers
Encourage One Another
A Wise Woman Link Up 
Domestically Divine
Hearts 4 Home
Delightfully Inspiring
Homemaking Link Up Party
Favorite Post Friday
Weekend Whatever!
Saturday Show & Tell
Marriage Monday

16 comments :

  1. so beautiful. I'm disappointed that I couldn't make it, but how beautiful. May God bless the next 25 years in an even more abundant measure than the first 25 years. Thank you for your story. Thank you for your openness and willingness to use your story to forever change the lives in a positive way to glorify God. I love you and your entire family in a huge way and have been so blessed over the years to watch the growth in your lives. You have been one of the biggest blessings in my life. Thank you for loving me and helping me in my hour of need. You are true servants of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, my "very first missionary friend" (lol). Although you couldn't be there, I am glad to share the beauty of the evening with you here. Love you girl!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, friend! What a beautiful video! I was teary-eyed watching it! :-) Your ceremony looks so wonderful and how precious that your children decorated everything so magnificently for you! May God bless you both for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video was actually finished just hours BEFORE the party! I had a difficult time locating my friend from 1997 (and in fact made the recording the night before the party), but knew her voice was needed to complete the project. When Terry and I were discussing the exact moment everything began to change -we realize it was at Salvation- but that phone call was the very beginning.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Terry ans Cheryl....and a very Happy 8th Birthday to Destiny! What a beautiful ceremony and reception. I love the decorations...how sweet of Amanda and Emily to do that in secret so it would be a lovely surprise! And well done, Stephanie and Haley on organising the correspondence and food. I'm sure it's a day that will leave imprints of many hearts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls originally wanted the whole thing to be a surprise (date, time, etc.), but when Terry and I decided to renew our vows, they said we could be in charge of that part (and making the video), but they would take care of the rest. It was an amazing time!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting so that I could enjoy what looks like a beautiful event! Eric & I wish you 25 more years (and then some!!) of devoted contentment. Bravo to your talented girls for pulling off a show stopping party... and bravo to you and Terry for raising such talented girls! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was remembering back to when the girls were younger and having the thought that one day we will need to have weddings for all these beautiful ladies and how ever would I manage. After seeing all that they did in that room, I now have NO worries!

      Delete
  5. I tried to watch the video. but it keeps stopping after it shows the picture of you, your husband, and I guess Amanda. The pics look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got it to play. So sweet and brought tears to my eyes.

    CONGRATULATIONS!! So glad that satan didn't win this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never noticed the Scripture verse on the church's reader board until AFTER we were saved. The first time I showed it to our Pastor, his expression was, "Whoa!" When I think about the way our family's heritage and destiny has been forever altered, I am amazed and realize, "No wonder Satan fought so hard!"

      Delete
  7. That is just so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations on 25 years. We are a little bit ahead of you guys....by a couple of months. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Cheryl! This post is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 25 years!!!!! Especially after reading the posts about the trials in your marriage, this is truly proof that God can mend, heal and create something beautiful in a marriage! Congrats, you look beautiful and this post is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! How special!! Thanks for sharing these pictures of your special event!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow it’s good to hear that it was your 25th marriage anniversary and you celebrated it as your second wedding renewal. You both still look very charming and perfect with each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; this is very encouraging to me! As I realize that not everyone will agree with the way we choose to live our lives, I will allow negative comments, as long as they are respectful, however, I will no longer allow comments published under "Anonymous".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...