We used to enjoy a big meal of Healthy Sausage Gravy with boiled eggs and gluten-free biscuits. But then after the 5K, Tropical Smoothie rewarded us with a delicious treat and from that day on, Saturday morning breakfast has been drastically different!
Our special breakfast now consists of a large smoothie, enjoyed by each member of our family. I don't really use a recipe, but it goes something like this:
- One to 1 1/2 frozen banana per serving
- 1 large (or 2 small) peeled, cored, cut ripe pineapple
- 3 peeled, cored, cut ripe mangoes
- 1 whole bag of raw spinach
- Approximately 1-1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup Goji Berries (optional)
- 1 cup raw coconut
- Approximately 1/3 cup chia seed
- Enough ice to make it all thick and cold
(Beware: this recipe serves 11 hungry people!)
I alternate these ingredients in my smoothie blender, pouring the contents into 2 gallon jars where I mix it all together and pour into pint jars. Even though the spinach shows up (the smoothie is a beautiful shade of green!), you cannot taste it at all! I also enjoy hiding dandelion green leaves in there! (Sh...don't tell my children!).
This healthy, delicious smoothie is every bit as filling as our former Saturday morning fare, but considering our current "health kick" we all feel better about breakfast.
Six days each week I enjoy a glass of "Wake Up" juice. But every Saturday morning, I now indulge in a real tropical treat!